Mberengwa, a district in the Midlands province of Zimbabwe, experiences a climate characterized by potential droughts and high temperatures. The region, while challenging in terms of weather conditions, is rich in natural resources such as gold, iron ore, emeralds, and asbestos. The climate, while presenting challenges, adds to the unique character of Mberengwa.
Location and GPS Coordinates
Situated in the Midlands province, Mberengwa is geographically positioned at approximately .
- The geographic coordinates for the Mberengwa District:
- Latitude: -20.72579°
- Longitude: 30.00962°
- Mataga Growth Point:
- Latitude: -20.65144°
- Longitude: 30.04556°
- Use these coordinates with online mapping tools like Google Maps to see the exact location.
- Remember, the coordinates represent the entire district, not a specific town center.
The district is subdivided into Mberengwa North, East, West, and South. It shares borders with Gwanda to the west and Zvishavane to the north, extending south to Neshuro, Chikombedzi, and Manyuchi Dam.
History of Mberengwa
Originally known as Belingwe, the name “Mberengwa” is derived from the Karanga phrase “Mbere-yeingwa.” The district has a rich history, with one theory suggesting that the name stems from an act of census conducted by the Lemba people stationed at Mount Mberengwa after a plague. Clans that underwent this census became known as Mberengwa.
Size & Population
The district comprises four parliamentary constituencies with a total of 37 councillors overseeing an equal number of wards. The population and size of Mberengwa reflect its role as a significant community within the Midlands province.
Distance from Harare City Centre to Mberengwa
The distance from Harare City Centre to Mberengwa is approximately 300 kilometers (186 miles) southwest. The journey typically takes several hours by car, and the specific travel time can vary based on factors such as road conditions and the chosen mode of transportation. It is recommended to use a reliable mapping service or navigation app for real-time information on distance, travel time, and the best route based on current conditions.
Distance from Mberengwa to Zvishavane
The provided content mentions that Mberengwa is approximately 300 kilometers (186 miles) southwest of Harare City Centre. However, it does not specify the exact distance from Mberengwa to Zvishavane.
In general, Mberengwa is located to the southeast of Zvishavane. The distance between Mberengwa and Zvishavane is approximately 50 kilometers (31 miles), but this distance can vary depending on the specific locations within the two areas.
Travel time from Mberengwa to Zvishavane
Travel time between Mberengwa and Zvishavane would typically take around 1 to 1.5 hours by car, depending on road conditions and the chosen route.
Mberengwa Town Council Contact Details
For inquiries or assistance, Mberengwa Town Council can be contacted at the following details:
Schools in Mberengwa Zimbabwe
Here is a list of some notable schools in Mberengwa:
- Chegato Secondary School:
- Description: Chegato Secondary School is a prominent educational institution in Mberengwa, offering comprehensive education to students.
- Musume Secondary School:
- Description: Musume Secondary School is another key school in the district, providing academic and extracurricular activities for students.
- Masase Secondary School:
- Description: Masase Secondary School contributes to the educational landscape of Mberengwa, focusing on holistic development and academic excellence.
- Mnene Secondary School:
- Description: Mnene Secondary School is recognized for its commitment to providing quality education, contributing to the intellectual growth of students.
Colleges and Universities in or near Mberengwa
As per the provided content, Mberengwa itself may not host colleges or universities. However, nearby areas and cities may offer higher education opportunities. Here are some institutions that students from Mberengwa might consider:
- University of Zimbabwe:
- Location: Mount Pleasant, Harare (Approximately 300 kilometers from Mberengwa)
- Description: The University of Zimbabwe is the country’s oldest and most prestigious university. It offers a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate programs across various disciplines.
- Chinhoyi University of Technology:
- Location: Chinhoyi (Approximately 400 kilometers from Mberengwa)
- Description: Chinhoyi University of Technology is known for its focus on technology and applied sciences. It offers programs in engineering, business, and other technical fields.
- Harare Institute of Technology:
- Location: Belvedere, Harare (Approximately 300 kilometers from Mberengwa)
- Description: Harare Institute of Technology specializes in engineering, technology, and applied sciences. It is committed to producing graduates with practical skills for the workforce.Also Read: Exploring the Rich History and Scenic Beauty of Concession
Lodges In Mberengwa Zimbabwe
For a comfortable stay, Mberengwa offers a range of lodges catering to different preferences. Lodges like
provide accommodation amidst the natural beauty of the district.
Things to do in Mberengwa
Mberengwa offers various activities for visitors, from exploring the abundant minerals and fauna to participating in sports competitions. Popular spots include Buchwa Mine, Vanguard Mine, Sandawana, and C Mine.
Did you know that Mberengwa is known for its rich deposits of gold, emeralds, and asbestos? The district has a history deeply intertwined with mining activities, contributing to its economic significance.